The GW Speech and Hearing Center serves people of all ages, from infants to senior citizens. Since this is a teaching center, graduate students and supervisory staff may observe sessions directly or through one-way observation windows. Patients may notify their clinicians if they would prefer not to have student observers at a particular session.
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, call the center at 202-994-7360 and inform the staff of the type of service you are seeking. The earliest appointment starts at 9 a.m.
- For speech-language evaluation and/or therapy sessions, intake information will be collected and your inquiry will be forwarded to the speech-language pathologist with expertise in your area of need. Due to the high volume of clients calling and the minimal number of new client openings per semester, acceptance to our program cannot be guaranteed. A waiting list is available.
- For hearing evaluation, hearing aid or cochlear implant services, an appointment with an audiologist will be scheduled.
Patients may cancel an appointment at least 24 hours prior to the appointment time at no penalty. Failure to provide 24-hour notice will incur a $25 cancellation fee, pending extenuating circumstances such as a medical or family emergency.
The Speech and Hearing Center operates on a semester-based schedule. Audiology appointments are offered year round, with the exception of university holidays and fall and spring breaks. In case of inclement weather, the center follows GW Campus Advisories.
Check back soon for the fall semester schedule.
Cost and Insurance
The center accepts cash (exact change only), check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Payments are expected at the time of service. Bills more than two months overdue will be assessed a finance charge of 1.5 percent per month.
The center does not accept insurance; we are private pay only. However, upon request we will provide a Universal Claim Form that can be used to request reimbursement from your insurance company.
Complete Audiological Evaluation
- Hearing Evaluation: $150
- Tympanometry: $40
- Tympanometry, Acoustic Reflex Testing: $60
- Tympanometry, Acoustic Reflex and Decay Testing: $75
- Complete Evaluation: $225 ($125 for current GW faculty, staff, students)
Additional Audiological Evaluations
- Additional Special Auditory Tests: $100 per hour
- Otoacoustic Emissions (screening): $75
- Otoacoustic Emissions (diagnostic): $100
- Earmold Tubing Change Only: $15 per earmold
- Hearing Aid Check Without Reprogramming: $25 per hearing aid
- Hearing Aid Check With Reprogramming: $50 per hearing aid
- Hearing Aid Evaluation/Consult Without Demonstration: $100 per appointment
- Hearing Aid Evaluation/Consult With Demonstration: $200 per appointment
- Hearing Aid Evaluation with Demonstration and Fitting: $400
- Hearing Aids (price does not include Evaluation/Consultation, Demonstration, Fitting or Earmold fees): $750–$3800 each
- Hearing Aid Supplies (batteries, tubing, receivers, wires, domes, wax guards, cleaning tools, etc.): $2.50-$175, varies by product
- Cochlear Implant Programming (Cochlear Americas and Advanced Bionics): $100
- Cochlear Implant Upgrade Programming: $175
- One Earmold/Earplug/Swimplug: $100
- Two Earmolds/Earplugs/Swimplugs: $200
- Each Additional Special Modification: $5
- Earmold Impression Only (no purchase of mold): $25
- Musician’s Ear Protectors
- One set of filters: $200
- Two sets of filters: $275
- Etymotic Earmolds (with voucher): $150
Auditory Rehabilitation — Active Communication Enhancement
- Individual Treatment: $50 per 50-minute session
- Group Treatment 2-3 people: $25 per 50-minute session
- 3-4-Week Group Class: $100
- Form Completion (Disability, Phone, Transportation, etc.): $10–$25. Free to existing patients.
- Hearing Aid Troubleshooting Clinics: $25 plus cost of repair for nonexisting patients (walk-ins)
- CI Evaluation: $350
- CI Initial Activation: $750
- CI Initial Activation With One-Year Follow-up (including one semester of AR): $2,000
- One Semester of CI Aural Rehabilitation (10 appointments): $450
- Individual Aural Rehabilitation Appointment: $50
- CI Mapping After First Year/Individual CI Mapping: $250
- Speech, Language, Literacy or Voice Standard Evaluation: $175 ($100 for current GW faculty, staff, students)
- Additional Specialized Testing: $100 per additional hour
- Speech, Language, Literacy or Voice Treatment
- Individual Treatment: $50 per 50-minute session ($25 for GW faculty, staff, students)
- Group Treatment: $25 per 50-minute session ($12.50 for GW faculty, staff, students)
- Speech and Language or Hearing Screenings, per person: $10–$25 (minimum charge of $250 for off-campus visits)
- Hearing Screening (School)
- (tones only; per student): $10
- (tones/tymps; per student): $15
- Rescreen (Threshold AC) — prior GW failures only: $40
- Consulting, Counseling, or Case Staffing (off-campus visits will be assessed a $40 surcharge per visit): $100 per hour